Friday, February 3, 2012

Whats the hold up?

Lets see some art already! I know that is what i would be thinking and expecting if I was a viewer of an art blog. " Whats the hold up? is a good and viable question. So here's my attempt to share what's been going on since I've decided to create this blog. Originally when deciding to create an art blog my goal was to have a digital outlet for my creative expression as well as a platform to display what I am capable of. Although there is still some truth to these goals my view on what that means has completely changed. Rather then use this as some facebook-type of social network where i post pics of art and wait for hopefully positive encouragement i've decided that while it was doing something it was a cowardly way to pursue my so-called dream. It forced me to really evaluate what my dream means to me and how am I willing to pursue it. I needed motivation, i needed inspiration, and i was blessed with that yesterday. While following some advice from an animator friend and a random stranger I met who was also in the animation field I began googling artists who worked at companies I thought i would love to work for. You know the animator /artist dream jobs of Pixar or Dreamworks. That's when I stumbled across Jason Brubaker. A conceptual artist who has worked on Dreamworks "Kung Fu Panda" & "Kung Fu Panda 2" ( great movies by the way ). So I decided to see what it took for Jason to make it and was in for a unexpected ride. Instead of finding a portfolio of character drawings i was instead redirected to Jason's blog "reMIND".  reMIND is Jason's self published web-comic / printed Graphic Novel. Man was I inspired not only by the art but just his passion for his product. The idea of believing in something so much and finding ways to make it work with your own money with no promise of success, really lit a fire somewhere inside that i didn't know existed. Notorious, for starting and having trouble finishing i immediately felt doubt begin to creep in and dim this fire that was now lit. A doubt that has put out many fires in the past and for a better part of my life has held me captive in complacency. So to counter act the doubt I feel exposure is necessary. Makes sense right, a fire cant burn bright in confinement, its needs to breathe, it needs oxygen. Whats my oxygen? Accountability. Your my oxygen. So here I am, exposing who I am, my fears and my flaws in hope of confronting these obstacles head on and overcoming them once and for all. Yesterday was a step, today another, and tomorrow.... Since reading many articles on Jason's blog I've since then read many other Graphic Novel - Web Comic blogs, trying to absorb as much information and knowledge as possibly. Gathering all advice and taking everything into consideration. My Goals and Dreams have gotten bigger, yet i feel less afraid and more hopeful then ever. So while no "Art" has been posted, a lot has happened in the past few days. So whats next? I've printed an article titled "10 things BEFORE you start a Comic or Graphic Novel " and that's what I plan to do. I am going to keep the momentum moving forward and tackle this list wholeheartedly. The lists includes suggested books to read- (ordered 2 already) , Character development,  brainstorming ideas, Writing the story before drawing, tips and pointers for creating vivid scene that come to life. So this is where I am at, as I begin going through these steps I will be updating my progress and uploading sketches and conceptual art for web-comic / graphic novel. Wish me luck, and keep me accountable. The process is a marathon not a sprint and mental conditioning is key. Although I've never physically ran a marathon, I envision the markers and checkpoints where people are there encouraging and providing water for refreshment to help make it to the next checkpoint and in my eyes that you, pushing me to my limits and refreshing me and reminding me along the way. Until the next checkpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment